The Lord is my Shepherd – Psalm 23
The Lord : All loving, all powerful, all knowing – He is My Shepherd
The Insights of Sheep
- They are dumb silly creatures, and will easily go astray. They need to be led and cared for.
- They are very timid and can easily be frightened
- They will not lie down when they are hungry, thirsty or frightened. Shepherd makes them to lie down them to ‘Green pastures Still waters – sheep don’t drink water from running water.
- ‘Butting order’ – The senior sheep have dominance over junior sheep. When the junior sheep encroaches his space, he butts them away. Amusingly, the stop their strife and behave themselves when the shepherd approaches them.
- Rod & Staff keep the sheep in order and also drives away the wolves etc.
- Pests worry us and make them distressed. Little eggs get into the nasal canals and breed. When the larvae hatch they cause much irritation. The sheep shake their heads vigorously, and continuously. They bash their heads against the tree to relieve the irritation. They hurt themselves-even to death.
- A good shepherd notices this, and anoints the head and rubs with oil. This soothes the sheep.
Good shepherd means ‘healthy sheep.
- The Provision of the Lord Vs. 1-3
- I shall not lack anything
- He makes me lie down in green pastures
- He leads me beside still waters
- He restores my soul- repairs my soul battered with the bruises and hurts of living
- He leads me in paths of righteousness
- The Protection of the Lord Vs. 4.
- I Fear no evil
- Even though I walk through the valley of shadow of death
- Your rod and your staff comfort me
- The Presence of the Lord V. 5, 6.
- He prepares a table in presence of my enemies
- He anoints my head with oil
- My cup runs over
- Goodness and mercy will follow me all the days of my life.
- I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.
Jesus says: “My sheep know my voice” We are‘earmarked’ by the Lord & for the Lord
John 10:10:. .I come that you may hove life and life in fullness”.
Lack nothing? Fear no evil? Now or in future? Cup overflows?
“The thief comes to steal, kill, destroy” –like the pests in the nasal passages of the sheep.
‘Pests’ irritate us and make us distressed . Thief – steals, destroys what Jesus gives us.